Whether you’re new to boat ownership or you’re just borrowing a boat for the weekend, you want to be sure to get the proper towing package for your vehicle and make sure you’re up to the towing task. At Hitch King, we can help you find a custom hitch mount that is durable enough to haul your boat. We have about every kind of hitch you can imagine right here in our Flushing, NY, store, and our team can even provide you with expert installation in no time.
Once you have the right hitch, here are some additional tips on the best way to tow a boat (for more, check out the full article from Boats.com):
- Consider where you’re headed. Towing a boat across dry, level land is much different than through the mountains on a rainy day. Before you leave, make sure your vehicle is equipped to handle the conditions.
- Follow the instructions when hooking up your boat to your hitch. Make sure they are properly aligned and that you use all safety pins and chains.
- Make sure your boat load is level and evenly dispersed on the trailer. Otherwise, you could jackknife while on the road or worse.
- Before you leave, double check your taillights to make sure they’re working properly.
- If you experience problems, stop and make it right. Don’t keep going when something is clearly wrong, or you could be putting yourself and your boat in harm’s way.
- Practice first. If you’re new to towing a boat, we recommend that you do a trial run first. Find an empty back road or a large parking lot, and practice maneuvering your vehicle while hitched up to the boat trailer.
If you have additional questions about towing a boat, especially in relation to proper hitch usage, then just ask our staff here at Hitch King. We’d be glad to answer your questions and help you find the right hitch for your summer fun. To find out more, contact us at (718) 353-6078.
photo credit: public domain via pixabay